About Us

City History

Franklin was founded in 1796 by General William C. Schenck and named for Benjamin Franklin. The city occupies 8.1 square miles in northwest corner of Warren County in southwest Ohio. Franklin is home to approximately 12,000 residents, and is one of the cities in the fasting-growing Cincinnati-Dayton-Springfield corridor.

The city hugs the Great Miami River, which contributed to its history as a paper manufacturer center. Today, Franklin's industrial base is more diversified, thanks to its position along Interstate 75, easy access to other major transportation arteries and the diligence of the City Council, Mayor, and Chamber of Commerce.

Franklin was incorporated in 1814 and assumed city status in 1951. The city operates under a council-manager form of government, with seven at-large council members elected on a non-partisan basis to four-year terms. The council elects one of its members as mayor. 

Franklin had one of the first four post offices in Warren County. It was established in 1805. Thomas Jefferson appointed the first post master, John. N.C. Schenck, brother of William C. Schenck. The first post office was in his home. This log cabin, now located on River Street, was entered into the National Register of historic places in 1976.

Franklin is proud of the full array of services it offers residents. A full-time workforce provides police, public works, street maintenance, building inspection, fire, and parks and recreation programming. 

The city website has a more detailed history

Read a blog by the Warren County CVB about Franklin.